Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Dia de Madre

homemade focaccia bread, chicken panini
May 10th is always Mother's Day in Mexico.  This morning two of our Mexican sisters phoned to congratulate & bless me with kind words of love and affirmation.  They've done this every year for the past 4-5 years that I've been blessed to know them.

This morning I put on my gym clothes fully expecting to workout before noon.  I was up shortly after 7:30 a.m., made fresh almond milk for coffee and put the almond meat in the oven to dehydrate & grind later for almond flour.   After quickly checking e-mail while eating my day old oatmeal breakfast I dove into today's activities.   I was to be in the kitchen preparing food for the day: focaccia bread, chicken divan casserole & grilled balsamic chicken for panini sandwiches.   Gary brought me 5 tubs of freshly picked raspberries to wash & freeze for smoothies, our daily dessert.  As noon rolled around, I was still in those same gym clothes not having had a moment to workout.  The chicken divan casserole getting close to serve for lunch.  My nearly 2 year old daughter was dressed & several attempts had been made to color pink stars onto her potty chart.   Since I had gone to the tianguis(outdoor) market yesterday with my youngest son & bought fresh chicken, the puppy & dog food was prepared to serve.  Each dog has to be tied to their side of the house so rank isn't broken.   After 15-20 min., gathering up and re-storing left over food in the refrigerator for later in the day is necessary as our hens will gobble the tasty morsels of chicken flesh.  They are such cannibals.

Before sitting down to lunch I decided to put on my day clothes, put away the gym clothes for maybe later in the evening.   Working out with pilate bands is what I'm thinking I'll do and finding the right doorway to lock into place is still a question.  After lunch my husband decides to weed eat & mow the lawn.  I quickly gather those presents our 4 dogs have left in the yard.  I'm very excited with how little there is now that they are eating raw meat!

It's now a quarter to 6, my husband has gone to Guadalajara to run a few errands before teaching classes in the evening.  Some of the things on my list for him to pick up at the big market are:  dried split peas, sesame seeds, flax seeds, wheat glutton & whole wheat flour.  After mixing up chicken feed this a.m. it was easy to make a list.

Since my adult sons have been waiting for work to start back up, they were handy in helping clean a couple of floor fans and putting back my mixer after it fell apart!   I've never had the piece that holds the attachments fall off before but as I was grinding wheat for flour, it did!  So glad one of them was able to gently hammer it back together again!

It's been a couple of weeks since I've made granola & so that may be on the agenda for perhaps tomorrow along with chicken paprikash & mashed potatoes.

I'm thankful for the few moments I had to sit on our terraza, admire the beautiful flowers, comment on the wonderful gardening job my husband has done in our yard while eating some cappaccino ice cream with my honey before he had to go.  Ice cream is a rarity, it's probably been nearly a year since I've eaten any and I enjoyed every bite!  I also enjoyed a few moments of doting on my little teacup French poodle pup.   It's unclear to me how many weeks she is but I do suspect 17.  She's so tiny and blends in with our tile floors.  Unless she's moving, you can't hear her little bells and it's easy to accidentally shuffle her across the floor.

5:55 p.m. now and the focaccia dough has risen 3 times with 3 more to go.  My hopes are to clean the kitchen, grill the chicken & store for on demand panini sandwiches,  do a little exercise, shower, feed the dogs their remaining food & watch a little Green Acres before bed.


almond milk
grinding wheat flour

almond flour

mixing fococcia bread dough

fresh baked focaccia bread w/grilled balsamic chicken

roses from our garden


It's very peaceful where we live.   I do try to look up and enjoy the view every moment that I can and bask in God's creation & glory.   My heart is overwhelmed & grateful for His kindness and mercy He has shown to me.  All I don't deserve yet He lavishes on me.  It shouldn't be too long now before our bananas are ripe enough to try.  I still need to think of reseeding my garden after my husband hauled in fresh compost from a lakeside dealer.   Now that he's installed drips in my garden I hope to see what our summer garden will entail!   Those hanging baskets also need new flowers & a second chance at growing some big tomatoes.  Being that we live in the high desert, it's unclear to me if the altitude had something to do with their pequenito tamano(small size).

No comments:

Post a Comment